Re: Applications Unnecessary

El lun, 04-05-2009 a las 10:29 +0100, Mike Bursell escribió:
> I worry about the "applications unnecessary" view. One problem, as pointed out elsewhere, is that I
> may often wish to open a file with various different apps: the GIMP to edit a photo, f-spot to
> categorise it, nautilus to view it.

But we could offer the options edit a photo, view a photo etc, but make
the fact that they are being done by different applications invisible to
the user. And if an application offers 2 or more tasks, they get
presented as 2 or more tasks, not just 1 app as they are now.
What are the main things that we do with files?
Create/Edit and View.

> Worse, what if I want want to start a new email, or document, or eclipse project or
> subversion repository or unison sync or ...? There seem to be lots of tasks that
> aren't centred around existing files, where templating would just lead to an
> explosion of files (and do I want to open a text doc in the gnome editor, openoffice or emacs?).

We'd only have to offer a menu with different mimetypes. Plain text
opens in gedit, rich text opens in openoffice. The mechanism for
deciding is the same as deciding if an existing text doc opens in gedit
or openoffice.

I don't think that templating is a bad thing. And the templates could be
managed in a most frequently used system. And "advanced" ones, such as a
svn repo, could be hidden with an option to activate them.

Alex