Re: Applications Unnecessary?

Le dimanche 03 mai 2009 à 21:48 +0300, Anton Kerezov a écrit :

> On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 8:12 PM, Milan Bouchet-Valat
> <nalimilan club fr> wrote:
>
>         Designs about that are welcome! But IMHO that's not so easy to
>         replace
>         without losing functionalities, and would require a complete
>         redesign of
>         our desktop conception (we're here to do so!).
>
> I would say that if we don't change something we risk Gnome to become
> a loser on the DE's playground.  Everybody is slowly embracing the
> document model but now and this time only Gnome has the chance to do
> it all with one step because the release is major
Sure, I'm not saying we shouldn't do anything, but that's not trivial!
And don't bother about Windows: they're not going to solve all the
integration problem we can deal with, because of their many third party
applications!

Another point I should have made in my previous mail: applications are
used differently than documents because they don't change over time. I
mean: apps that are used by themselves are always present as launchers,
because they're used all the time, whereas you don't always work on the
same documents. That's why we have a "Recent docs" list, and a "Most
used apps" list. So your design would need to tackle this too. ;-)