Re: Metacity, Mutter, GNOME Shell, GNOME-2.28

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 5:11 PM, Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com> wrote:

> But it could also be confusing, and unless you are going to keep on
> merging Metacity wholesale into mutter, there's not a big advantage in
> having them in the same repository. 'git cherry-pick' has no special
> intelligence over just applying a patch.

Right, it's mostly a branding thing.

> How would you see packaging and installation working with your scheme?

OS vendors would need to ship separate "metacity-compositor" packages.
 metacity-compositor would Depend: metacity.

> I don't see how different programs (metacity and metacity-clutter) could
> share the same GConf schema keys.

What problems do you see?  Basically mutter would depend on the
metacity schemas being installed from mainline.

Thinking about this a bit more, the end of this path is that the
schemas, translations etc. are removed from the compositor branch, and
it's really a separate project that depends on metacity installed.  It
just has a fork of the core code and installs a distinct binary name.

Anyways I'm not opposed to any of 1) 2) or 3), I just wanted this
option out there on the table to think through.