developing for gnome-shell

Hi,

I would like to make a magnifier for gnome-shell, but after reading a little about it GNOME Live I don't know how to proceed. What is the best way to develop it, as a plugin for mutter or inside gnome-shell?

I also don't understand right if gnome-shell will splited from mutter or not, since from some informations I understand that it's use mutter to not have to re implement all the window manager features (I read this in Owen blog), but in GNOME Live it's also state that in some point the Metacity code will be forked and made specific to gnome-shell. So what is the actual plan to the future?

Best regards,
Carlos.