Re: Screen all blank?

On Fri, 2009-01-23 at 22:30 -0500, Yu Feng wrote:
> Hi all;
>
> I installed gnome-shell with jhbuild along the steps on the wiki; then
> started the shell with scripts/start-in-Xephyr.
>
> But apparently I am getting a huge blank pixmap with these debugging
> informations on the console:
>
> Warning: Cannot convert string "xlogo32" to type Pixmap
>     JS ERROR: !!!   Exception was: Error: No JS module 'signals' found in search path
>     JS ERROR: !!!     lineNumber = '0'
>     JS ERROR: !!!     fileName = 'gjs_throw'
>     JS ERROR: !!!     stack = 'Error("No JS module 'signals' found in search path")@:0
> ("No JS module 'signals' found in search path")@gjs_throw:0
> @/home/rainwoodman/gnome-shell/source/gnome-shell/js/ui/main.js:6

This is probably why you are getting the blank output.. if
initialization of the Javascript code fails, nothing much will show up.
Why this is, I have less of an idea. signals is shipped along with gjs.
Does:

 ~/gnome-shell/install/share/gjs-1.0/signals.js

Exist?

> Window manager warning: Log level 16: NOTE: Not using GLX TFP!

This is normal for start-in-Xepyhr. This certainly needs to be fixed to
warn only once.

> I was building at rev 164.
> And the computer is sort of old with a radeon R200 or R100 card:
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility
> M7 LW [Radeon Mobility 7500];
> I am no 3D folk but compiz works (though pretty sluggish) on the card.

An R100. I expect performance to about like compiz - not pleasant to
use, but should come up. Amount of video memory matters quite a bit. In
any case, I think your problem is the Javascript error.

- Owen