Re: Eliminate titlebar for maximized windows

Hey Igor!

2009/1/20 Jay Bee <jaybee444 gmail com>
Hello everyone!
Here is a mockup picture I made for my idea of elimination of the
titlebar for the maximized windows.
Please check the attachment and excuse my poor Gimp skills.

IMHO, titlebar just wastes precious screen real estate so when an user
maxemizes a window the whole window border would grow outside the screen
and dissappear, while the titlebar would be shrinked in the panel window
list (I used ubuntu-mobile window picker here).
That window list item would display title, restore and close buttons.
Clicking on the title would minimize the window so there is no need for
minimize button here.

Restoring a window would shrink the window returning its' border and
titlebar.
I think this would be a nice way to decrease the clutter and wasting of
the vertical screen space.

Another thing I would like to discuss is the menu bar... almost every
window has it and I think most users use it rarely so there is no need
for it to be present at all times, maybe we could add a button in the
gui somewhere (say, on the window toolbar or something) that would
toggle the menu bar for that window.
What's your opinion on the Global Gtk+ Menu. (It's a panel applet which forces menubars to appear at the top of the screen like on OS X.)

Please discuss :-)

I am looking for the ways to contribute myself but coming from the
windows world of Visual Studio I am a bit intimidated and have no idea
where to start.
Do you have any experience with C or _javascript_?

Cheers,

Igor

P.S. I love the work done so far.