Re: gnome-shell moving to Git

On Fri, 2009-02-06 at 12:29 +0100, Milan Bouchet-Valat wrote:
> Le jeudi 05 février 2009 à 19:24 -0500, Owen Taylor a écrit :
> > As part of setting up git.gnome.org and exploring how we would
> > transition to this, we needed a handful modules using it for real.
> Really nice!
>
> I wanted to commit my application usage monitoring code to a separate
> branch so that people can have a look at it (even if it's not perfect
> yet), but for what I've understood you still need a registered account
> to do so. Could I get commit permissions to a single branch? I don't
> really need to modify master, anyway.

The nice thing about a distributed version control system like Git is
that you can publish a branch anywhere.

There are two main public Git hosting sites at the moment:

 http://github.com
 http://www.gitorious.org

github is a considerably more polished and mature; gitorious has the
philosophical advantage of having open source code behind it. So you can
put a branch on either site, or wherever, and and people can pull from
it, look at the changes between it and master, etc, pretty much a easily
as if it was on git.gnome.org.

We want to offer private Git repositories to GNOME contributors at some
point, perhaps using the gitorious code for a nice web interface, but
I'm not sure if we'll be able to throw it open wide open for anybody
without needing for people to have a GNOME account first. Maybe! :-)

In any case, not necessary here.

- Owen