interapplication communication

Hi all.

I like the concept of gnome-shell if it comes to single apps, but I
wonder if it's a good solution if you work with multiple different
apps. E.g. if you want to drag and drop files between two nautilus
windows, you can choose between resizing both windows, placing them
side by side or using Alt+Tab to toggle between them.

I know, one of the main arguments is that the application itself
should offer things like tabbed browsing, but what about interprocess
communication between totally different apps?

Some apps also do not treat the focus correctly, e.g. if you open a
video file with xine the application does not always get the focus. In
some cases the xine panel is focused, in others the video display and
sometimes none of both. Then you either have to zoom out or use
Alt+Tab to focus the app.

Best Regards
Marcus