Re: Idea to enhance window management in overlay mode

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 3:00 PM, Nageswara <whatisthis20 gmail com> wrote:
> Hello folks,
> I've a small idea which would enhance user experience in overlay mode.
> Currently, Window previews(in overlay mode) are being arranged in a way that
> every window is visible and easily accessible. In the process of bringing
> ease of access, we lost the facility to rearrange windows in overlay mode. I
> tried bringing both of these essential functionality together by a small
> tweak. When user drags any draggable object into a workspace, all the
> windows will be automatically arranged in their actual positions and sizes
> in that workspace. So that, user can decide where to place the dragged
> object. (windows will be restored back to their slots after a few secs). I'm
> attaching a working prototype patch to this mail. Try it and let me know
> your thoughts. Hope you like it.

Just tried the patch quickly.  Seems really buggy unfortunately.  I'm
not sure if what I was seeing was intentional or related to the errors
it was throwing.

But I'm not sure we want to require the user to manage windows more
than necessary.  I think we actually have a pretty big win that the
overview doesn't really get bogged down in micro-managing window
positions.

Even still it is cool that you are experimenting with new ideas.

Jon