Re: Ideas and mockups for desktop contexts

Hi,

Sorry for the super slow response.

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 7:09 PM, David Mend <milarupa yahoo es> wrote:
> Hello everybody.
>
> I hope these ideas might be of interest. This intends to be a shot at the
> "desktop context" concept. I took ideas from these mockups but this one is
> simpler. It is also similar to the recently posted mockup by Jimmy
> Forrester.
>
> The main idea is using Contexts to tell the computer what you are doing, in
> your terms. The only task you will need to do is writing.
>

> Naming a Context
> The mechanism to tell the computer what you are doing is naming the Context.
> Every Context has a name. Before you specify what you are doing, the
> computer automatically creates a Generic Context. The names of currently
> open Contexts are visible:
>
> • In the overlay view, next to each workspace.
> • In the normal view, the name of the current Context should be visible in
> the panel; maybe instead of "Activities", but it could go somewhere else,
> specially if breadcrumbs were implemented.
>
> There are two ways to name a Context:
>
> • New workspace: in the overlay, when you create a new workspace with the
> (+) icon, cursor automatically is on the Context name field:
>
> 1. If you don't write anything, the new workspace will belong to the Generic
> Context.
> 2. If you write a new Context name, that new Context will be created,
> opened, and the workspace assigned to it.
> 3. If you write the name of a previously existing Context (whether it is
> open at the moment or not) the new workspace will be assigned to it. The
> name field has autocomplete function.
>
> • Existing workspace: existing workspaces could be renamed with right button
> click or with the "Edit Name" button next to the name (pencil icon in
> mockup). Two situations:
>
> 1. Renaming the Generic Context: whatever you have in the workspace in that
> moment (applications and documents) is assigned to the new name, whether
> it's a new Context or an existing Context. Previous events within that
> workspace will remain within the Generic Context (in recent documents,
> Zeitgeist, etc.).
> 2. Renaming a non Generic Context: this will simply change the name of the
> Context. Names of already existing Contexts should not be allowed.
>
> To underline the difference between Contexts, some eye candy clues could be
> allowed: different colors and backgrounds for desktop, panel, overlay and
> "Activities" button.
>

> The Context manager
> Once a Context has a name it can be "managed": see all the existing
> Contexts, reopen them, erase if you are not using them anymore, advanced
> setup if more options are available... I put the "Context manager" below the
> panel and right of the "Find" button. It works more or less like the
> Applications menu. It immediately provides a list of favourite or most
> recent Contexts. To browse everything and do the advanced stuff, you use the
> "More" button.
> [...]

Surely some good ideas here.  Ideas related to this have come up a few
times.  It was even discussed during the original UX hackfest.  They
are, however, not without problems.  Some of these I expect to be
quite hard to solve - understanding the goal, designing an elegant
solution, and with implementation.  I think that it is pretty clear
that these features would not be a very good match for a large number
of people - at least the way they use computers today.  And even for
the people who are organizers and planners I'm not sure we can come up
with one system that will fit them all.  I suspect (but don't know)
that these habits are idiosyncratic.  Or even where they are not, we
have multiple competing strategies today - theories if you will - and
we need a way for them to be tested and refined before we adopt them.
I think the best way to handle this is to make use of the forthcoming
extension system.  If such an activity group management / workflow
extension to the Shell proves successful then I think we can consider
pulling parts of it into the core design.

Another way to look at this is that boy do we ever have a lot of work
to do already.  :)   And in my judgement these things are higher value
targets for now.  There is always a difficult balance to find between
optimized/focused and modular/extensible architectures.  I think given
our current goals and constraints we are probably doing the right
thing by making sure we get the standard/default design right before
spending too much time on internal interfaces.  But Owen can give the
authoritative answer about where an extension system fits on the
roadmap.

That said, I highly encourage you or others to continue to pursue
these experiments.   They do sound cool.  Hopefully I didn't come off
as too dismissive - just trying to explain how I see it.

Thanks,
Jon