Re: Run the Shell as a "real" session?

Hey Dean,

I am currently running gnome-shell as my desktop on Fedora 11 without
any problems.  These are the steps I did.

1)  add this patch to gnome-wm of gnome-session
http://bugzilla.gnome.org/attachment.cgi?id=136758&action=view
2)  launch gconf-editor
3)  goto /desktop/gnome/session
4)  with session highlighted change the required components list to
windowmanager,filemanager, removing panel.  You can also remove
filemanager if you would like but will then lose automounting of
external media that nautilus takes care of.
5)  click on /desktop/gnome/session/required_components and change the
windowmanager value to mutter.
6)  change to gconf key /apps/mutter/general
7)  change the clutter_plugins value from default to libgnome-shell

Log out of your current session and back in, it should fire up
gnome-shell as your desktop.

Hope this helps,

Jon