Re: Applets? [was Re: Planning for GNOME 3.0]

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 6:10 PM, Dylan McCall <dylanmccall gmail com> wrote:
> Similarly, all sorts of applications choose to hide within the
> notification area because they want to stay out of the user's way and
> window managers fail to provide the necessary functionality themselves.
> Thus, they take window management upon themselves and start playing with
> system trays. This should remind you, tenacious reader, of tabbed
> document interfaces, notification-daemon abuse (for fancy looking dialog
> boxes), anthropomorphic dogs and rabbity things.

This one at least has been solved in Windows 7 by merging the
QuickLaunch area with running applications. A dock would also solve
this problem nicely. You'll notice OS X doesn't have a lot of
"applets" on the menu bar. The only one I've seen a lot of people have
is smcFanControl.

--
Travis Watkins
http://www.realistanew.com