Re: Planning for GNOME 3.0


CC'ing GNOME shell list as this is probably the space this should be

> As the deskbar-applet maintainer I'm very concerned that are no clear
> plans for an applet/desktop widget framework, yet. I guess porting an
> applet to the new yet-to-be-invented framework would take considerable
> time. Because there's currently no plan for a new framework it will take
> some time until there is a time and the framework is actually usable.
> Hopefully it's not already too late to start porting applets then. I
> think it would be a big mistake to omit applets in the new gnome desktop
> evolution.

I don't think applets in the way we think of them currently are a very
great thing and they have been overused in the past (as have
notifications). Nevertheless, some applets are generally useful, like
tomboy or hamster.

For deskbar, I think it should be integrated with gnome-shell itself. It
already has some box to type so this could evolve into a deskbar input

For the others the point of bringing up a standard is not that bad imho.
Let's face it that have have about 1 year left and even in this year it
would be ok to have standard draft that is implemented in GNOME 3.0 and
is 90% stable while the rest 10% missing for the 1.0 standard release
can be done afterwards.

This API should contain the possibilty to add a "widget" (likely an
XWindow of some kind) into some "panel" that is *not* just an icon
because we have the notification area for icons.

On the other hand, if you look at the very recent gnome-shell mockups it
could be difficult to find space for those. Maybe something should
replace the applets then. Whatever this may be - be creative - now it's
time to make things better.


Attachment: signature.asc
Description: Dies ist ein digital signierter Nachrichtenteil

[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]