Re: Minimized windows disappear, help please!

Sounds to me like what would happen if the applets for workspace switching, and for window list have been removed form the panel.

Have you tried right-clicking on ane EMPTY section of the panel, selecting 'Add to Panel'>Utilites>Window list
and similarly for the workspace switcher?