Minimized windows disappear, help please!

Hi All!

Running Fedora/Gnome on my notebook successfully for the last year or more,
until last week. Now when I minimize a window, rather than showing up on the
panel, it just disappears into the lower right hand corner of the screen. The
app is still running, but I haven't been able to find a way to get the
window(s) back. When I log out, all of the lost windows come back for a
second just before Xwindows (?) shuts down. This seemed to start after a
application running under WINE crashed after filling up a file system, but
I'm not 100% sure.
The installed OS is, I believe, the original Fedora release, but I run
up-to-date fairly regularly (last time perhaps a month ago).
While I am not a Linux newbie, I am, by no means a guru either, and as such am
hoping someone can suggest a fix, or at least point me in the right direction
to start looking. I have looked thru the system logs without finding anything
that looked related, the panel functionality seems normal; the usual icons
and applets are present, and work as advertised. The only thing I have
noticed is that the work-place switcher is gone. I can move between
workplaces using the hot-key combination; the missing windows aren't on
another work-place either.
I have switched to the KDE desktop until I can get GNOME fixed; if nothing
else I will try the old Windoze trick; fdisk, setup.exe, but that's a last
resort.
Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated. TIA!

ByeBye! S.

--
Steve Jernigan  KG0MB
Laboratory Manager