Re: using olvwm as the window manager

>> I have a fresh installation of Fedora2 and I want to make olvwm the
>> default
>> window manager. I have tried several things and I can actually get olvwm
>> running, but it never reads my user setup files, so if I change my
>> background color or something like that, the next time I log in its back
>> the original. I am not sure that I have it set up correct. If anyone
>> knows
>> how I should be doing this, please let me know. If you can give me a
>> step-by-step instruction I would appreciate it so I can try to figure out
>> where I went wrong.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Miranda
>
> I have had that setup, but I was in runlevel 3 (editing the /etc/inittab
> and changing the default from 5 to 3); and when starting OLVWM I use the
> "openwin" command; is this what you're doing, or have you set it up to
> start otherwise?
>
> --
> stephen kuhn

That is what I'm not sure about. My .xinitrc supposedly executes olvwm. I
took the file from my Solaris account, which runs olvwm. I have installed
olvwm.desktop and olvwm under /etc/X11, but they don't seem to make any
difference to my account which always logs in with the default olvwm setup,
even if I change the settings. Even without those files in place I get the
same behavior. I'm not sure what else to try. Basically what I am trying to
do is have one home directory that gets mounted on both redhat/fedora and
solaris computers and the users don't notice any difference as far as their
account setup goes. They just log in and get their standard olvwm desktop.

Thanks!
Miranda

---