duplicate icons on dual display

I am currently running XFree86 v 4.3.0 on Red Hat Linux 9 release 4.3.0-2.
I have a Matrox Millennium G550 g/card using a 19" CRT and a 15" LCD dual
display setup.
I use Gnome as my window manager.
The problem I have is that when I mount a device like a floppy, cdrom, zip
disk, etc, the icon for the mounted device appears twice on display :0.0!
When I unmount the device, only one of the icons disappears and the other
one never goes away!
If I run KDE and mount a device, then the icon appears and disappears as
expected. Is this a known bug at all?
Cheers,
Diego.

For those other than the recipient any disclosure, copying, distribution,
or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on such information
is prohibited and may be unlawful.

Emails and other electronic communication with QinetiQ may be monitored.
Calls to QinetiQ may be recorded for quality control,
regulatory and monitoring purposes.