Re: install gnome

Emmett Jones wrote:

I am trying to install gnome on red hat 7.3. I ran the install but forgot to check to install gnome or kde. I do not want to start from scratch. I am not experienced with any form of UNIX or Linux. Is there a simple way of making this happen? Please remember that I am not familiar with the commands or structure in red hat.

I believe there is no simple way to do that with Red Hat 7.3. In Red Hat 9 onwards, there is an installer GUI (redhat-config-packages) that's in many ways a "live" version of the OS installer, which makes this kind of operation dead easy - but there's always the question of whether it would be there anyway after installing without GNOME and KDE (I don't quite remember what package group it's in.)

Of course, all the applications and libs that make up GNOME are available as rpm package files on the OS CDs (look in directory RedHat/RPMS) - to install you enter rpm -Uvh followed by one or more file names in a terminal window (you'll usually install all packages you want in one go, rather than executing the command once for each file.) There is also a GNOME UI variant called "gnorpm", but again, since you have no GNOME...

The tricky bit, though, is knowing which packages to install. The file RedHat/base/comps may give you an idea of what makes up e.g. the GNOME group...

- Toralf