Re: gnome window goes black for no reason with CADENCE tools

On Thu, 2004-01-29 at 16:50, Igor_ wrote:

> PROBLEM DESCRIPTION:
>   The
> only problem we have with
> this approach is  "blackening" of any CADENCE window  when  we click on
> gnome panel.

Hmm - I wonder if what you are describing is different from what I tend
to call "color map flashing" - the behavior that occurs on machines
with 8 bit color video cards when X has to assign to the application its
own color map, with different colors than those used in the general
shared color map.

The application can, quite often, appear to be 'darkening'.  The
reality in the situation to which I refer is that as you focus between
differing apps, the entire screen is displayed with different color
map palettes.

I began seeing an increase in this sort of thing as netscape began
using more and more colors.  When we went to CDE, it became really
bad - StarOffice drove us past bearabiliy, but GNOME really forced
us into upgrading to more robust video cards.
--
Tcl - The glue of a new generation.  <URL: http://wiki.tcl.tk/ >
Larry W. Virden <mailto:lvirden cas org> <URL: http://www.purl.org/NET/lvirden/>