Re: gnome window goes black for no reason with CADENCE tools

Igor_ wrote:
| In my company we are trying to replace SUN workstations with cheaper
| REDHAT  LINUX workstation.

Doing the same here :)

| CADENCE tools need 8-bit pseudo color environment in order to run.

Which release of Cadence's tools? Opus 5 works much better with GNOME.

| original video card with the video card which supports "hardware
| overlay" ( whatever that means).

Hardware overlay give 2 X visuals in hardware, in this case 8bit
psudeocolor + 24bit truecolor. Xfree86 doesn't support a software method
to get both simultaniously. FWIW, we use PGX32 cards on or Ultra10/20
machines for the same reason, the builtin ATI R128 chips don't do
hardware overlays either.

| PROBLEM DESCRIPTION:
| to use SUN Solaris server to run it and we display the result on LINUX

The CAD guys here say use VNC. start the VNCserver on the SUN in 8bit
pseudocolor, and use CDE. Then run VNCviewer on the linux box.

Using _ANYTHING_ other than what Cadence recommends is likely to cause
problems.

| Clicking on gnome panel means, for example, selecting another desktop
| and then going back to the original one.

| This problem is there ONLY with GNOME desktop. KDE desktop works fine.
| Unfortunately, KDE desktop
| has OTHER issues with CADENCE. We have decided to standardize on GNOME,
| because the newer
| SUN Solaris workstation support GNOME as well.

Again, Cadence says use CDE and MWM. Anthing else is likely to cause
trouble. We've had trouble using Sun's GNOME2.0 release on Sparcs with
Cadence tools.

| No, we can not migrate to RH9 or Fedora or RH enterprise workstation.
| The main reason for this
| is availability of the CAD tools.

Same here. Stuck with RHL-7.3 untill the vedors catch up.

	-Thomas