Re: please--gnome daemon

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 22:04:01 -0800
Ted Parks <th parks verizon net> wrote:

> This is my second posting, no one having helped the first time. I
> would apprecate any suggestions.
>
> After loading RedHat 8.0 on a Compaq 500mhz machine, I consistently
> get the message that there is a problem with the Gnome Settings Daemon
> found, I was unsure how to implement.

Did you upgrade from an earlier version of redhat? When I did this I
needed[1] to remove all my gnome settings and set it up from scratch.
i.e remove .gnome* .gconf* and .gtkrc*. I may have also removed the
entire contents of /tmp as well.  I can't remember the exact error I was
getting but I know it made gnome unusable.

Even if this isn't your situation, it may be worth trying to use gnome
with a brand new account, so there are absolutely no customizations.

Regards,

Chris

[1] Well maybe not 'needed' but at the time it seemed like a lot less
work than trying to work out where it was failing.