Re: Too many items on Gnome Window List

On Sun, 2004-08-15 at 04:27, Norman Shapiro wrote:
>                              BACKGROUND
>
> The Gnome Menu Panel (as distributed by RedHat 9.0) has a window list consisting
> of an item for each open window on the current Gnome Workspace.
>
> Once there are 4 or 5 windows on a Gnome Workspace, this window list becomes
> hard to use.  This poses an especial problem for applications which open several
> windows.  These applications generate a separate window list item for each
> window.
>
> However, some applications only generate one window list item no matter how many
> windows they have open.  The single window list item for these applications
> generates a pop-up menu for all the windows of that application.  Examples of
> such applications are Mozilla, yelp (the Gnome help facility) and,
> (collectively) all OpenOffice applications.
>
>                              QUESTION
>
> How can can I force an application, that I write, to generate only one window
> list item, as Mozilla, yelp, and OpenOffice do?

You can change the preferences on the panel to show applications
grouped; hence you won't get a crowded taskbar.

(Right-click the task bar => preferences => always group simmilar tasks)

HTH!
--
stephen kuhn - proprietor
illawarra computer services :: a kuhn media australia venture

Professor: "Good news, everyone. Several years ago I tried to log onto
AOL, and it just went through. Whee! We're online."