Too many items on Gnome Window List

                             BACKGROUND

The Gnome Menu Panel (as distributed by RedHat 9.0) has a window list consisting
of an item for each open window on the current Gnome Workspace.

Once there are 4 or 5 windows on a Gnome Workspace, this window list becomes
hard to use.  This poses an especial problem for applications which open several
windows.  These applications generate a separate window list item for each
window.

However, some applications only generate one window list item no matter how many
windows they have open.  The single window list item for these applications
generates a pop-up menu for all the windows of that application.  Examples of
such applications are Mozilla, yelp (the Gnome help facility) and,
(collectively) all OpenOffice applications.

                             QUESTION

How can can I force an application, that I write, to generate only one window
list item, as Mozilla, yelp, and OpenOffice do?

                          ENVIRONMENT

Red Hat Linux release 9 (Shrike)
gnome-session-2.2.0.2-4
Linux version 2.4.20-31.9smp
2 x Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.06GHz

I have tried to answer this question by using Gnome's help and by wondering
around http://www.gnome.org -- all to no avail.

    Norman Shapiro
    798 Barron Avenue
    Palo Alto CA 94306-3109