Restore KDE Desktop

Can anyone here help me restore the KDE Desktop to a user on a Red Hat 9
installation. I made some updates from the NyQuist apt directory and lost
considerable functionality.

To Matt Hall's credit, he had responded to my inquiries with some suggestions
on how to solve some of the problems that resulted. It was his suggestion, i.e.,

'cd /usr/lib'
'ln -s libpspell.so.4 libpspell.so'

that eventually made it possible to restore my Apache web server a day later.

Nevertheless, neither of us has been able to resolve the loss of the KDE
Desktop. I have seen in other posts on other forums where others have lost
their KDE desktops after upgrading from Evolution 1.2 to 1.4. Is there any way
to recover from this "desktop lockdown"?

There has been a noticable silence when I have asked this question on
FreeNode's #kde and #redhat.