Re: gconfd and multiple machines

> We shouldn't dump out the baby with the bathwater.

My problem is that the bathwater is two years old.

It needs changing and it needs changing sooner than later.

The people who ARE using gnome and linux on the desktop in an enterprise
have had to piecemeal this together  and just tell their users - don't
login to more than one place - which just sucks.

> Unfortunately, I think the real way forward to fix the problem in
> an environment like the one you are in is write a central config
> server that has good Kerberos integration and to which administrators
> feel comfortable exporting as widely as their AFS servers.

yes - I agree here. But how to do that while still letting users run
simple configurations at home (w/o servers) may get tricky.

frankly if you're going to go this route I'd suggest a couple of

1. kill off all explicit paths being stored anywhere in the config data
- meaning - evo should stop storing my home dir path in it's config
files b/c I want my evo config to stay the same even if my homedir lives
in a slightly different place.

2. figure out a way for a user to grab this data and push it onto their
laptop or what not for offline use.

3. you might as well grab all config files and put them in here. This
could include epiphany/galeon/web browser of the week, evo vfolders,
addressbooks, etc <- the major reason is that at this point you've got a
lot of what acap was intended for but never resolved.

However, the data structures to provide this information quickly is
hard.

Additionally, this is a place where talking to people outside of gnome
would be really wise - the chandler folks are working on this sort of
config/data storage routines and it might be wise to coordinate with
them.

-sv