Re: gconfd and multiple machines

On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 06:03:20PM -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
> The best that writing the files atomically does is give you coherency
> between the keys in a single directory. But that isn't enough:
> it should be easy, for instance, to get
> apps/gnome-terminal/default_profile pointing at a non-existent
> profile.

Sure, but gnome-terminal will handle that gracefully by dropping back
to an existing profile. It's intended to at least.

The panel is the only app I can think of that has complicated enough
configuration to get inconsistent in this situation, and also
sufficiently unrobust configuration code to break once stuff is
inconsistent. The panel also breaks if you share a gconfd between two
machines though; it just isn't written properly. (Not model-view.)

Epiphany, Evolution, may also get confused, but I haven't looked.

We know it won't work 100% right with multiple logins until we have a
dedicated client-server model, and fix bugs in things like the panel.

With local locks though, at least you can log in...

Havoc