Right-Click -> Disks with removeable media

How can I get Gnome to reload its configuration when I attach removable media? My case is thus:

RHL9
SanDisk USB Flashcard reader

My system is configured to automatically put an entry in /etc/fstab and create a mount dir, /mnt/flash, when I attach the flashcard reader. But I have to log out and log back in to get the "Right-click (on desktop)-> Disks -> flash" functionality to be able to mount the flash card.

How can I get Gnome to re-read /etc/fstab without logging out and logging back in?

I tried "killall -HUP gnome-session" but that just kills the session which effectively logs me out. Therefore this is *not* a solution!

In a related but slightly different problem/solution, I created a /etc/hotplug/usb/flash script which automatically mounts the flsahcard reader but I cannot UNmount the reader using "right-click-on-mounted-device -> Unmount Volume". I don't know why the thing will not unmount this way because in the hotplug script I force it to mount as user "jeff" (me) and I *am* able to unmount it from the command-line using "umount /mnt/flash".

Thanks for your help, Gnome gurus!!
--
                 Jeffrey | Silverman
         jeffrey jhu edu | 410-516-5303