Re: How to change a default WM for Gnome in RH 9.0?

On Fri, 2003-06-27 at 19:13, Hrvoje Blazevic wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Although I spent an hour or so, looking through RH (9.0) docs CD, I could not
> find the info on how to disable the Metacity WM, and enable Sawfish.
>
> The end result is that I have to use KDE instead of Gnome.
>
> I find Metacity "politically" unacceptable. Reminds me of M$, where the
> attitude is: "You the  user might think that you know what is good for you,
> but you are rally an idiot, and we (the M$) know what's best for you.
> Therefore we will not allow you to set up the foculs policy as you want it,
> because we just know that the click to foucus is the best!"
>
> BTW: I do know that Metacity does allow focus follows mouse, but makes it
> *unusable* by not allowing the user to disable raising of the window when the
> client area is clicked.
>

> So, I need help: how to disable Metacity, and make Sawfish the default WM?

If all the other tricks fail, you can always rename /usr/bin/metacity
and then create a link CALLED /usr/bin/metacity, but have it point to
/usr/bin/sawfish instead...(worked for me...)

--
Wed Jul 30 08:35:00 EST 2003
 08:35:00 up 11:27,  2 users,  load average: 0.09, 0.14, 0.11

The maze was so small that people got lost looking *for* it.
        -- Bloody Stupid Johnson at his finest
           (Terry Pratchett, Men at Arms)