GNOME2 color problem

Here's a good one.

I have to use an expensive Solaris Sparc app, that is brain dead, requiring an 8bit PseudoColor visual.

On my sparc I have a 24+8bit card so normal desktop uses 24bit TrueColor, but there is an 8bit PseudoColor visual for old apps. It's Motif based. I'm using Sun's GNOME 2.0 release (yeah they finally released it).

No major problems with the app in GNOME 1.4 from sun.
Works great with CDE +dtwm.
Works great with openwin.
It looks fine if I display to my RH-8 + XF86-4.2.99 + GNOME-2.0 box started with -depth 8 (for the proper visual) other than color flashing.

But in sun's GNOME-2 release, a status bar is drawn with a flashing red (dark red/light red) background, and the exit dialog has the same flashing red behind the buttons (see pics). According to the gimp, dark is (index #7; 127,0,0 ; #7f0000) and light is (index #4; 255,0,0 ; #ff0000). The captures only show one color, so the X color setting doesn't appear to cause the flashing.

I'm guessing, I could change a X resource to change the color, but I don't know which one, or why only GNOME-2.0 is showing this. Anyone here got a clue as to what would cause the red to flash like that? Any ideas on how to find the correct resource to fix it?

   -Thomas

PNG image

PNG image

PNG image