Re: Gnome freezing during log in

On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 05:41:49PM -0500, Mike Levine wrote:
> 	I am running Red Hat 8.0 and my system now freezes when I try to log in
> using Gnome.  I am able to log in using KDE.  How do I correct this problem?
> Or how do I reinstall Gnome without destroying the whole system.  I looked
> at the package manager and I can remove the extra features, but I want to
> uninstall then reinstall Gnome unless somebody has a better idea.  Any
> suggestions would be appreciated.  I am relatively new to Gnome and Linux.

The brute force method is to delete ~/.gnome2 and ~/.gconf (those are
directories in your home directory).

It's probably possible to debug the login hang, if you want to go to a
virtual terminal (Ctrl+Alt+F1) and run "top" and that type of thing
and see what's hanging and otherwise poke around, but if you're
willing to lose your configuration and don't want to spend time on it,
simply deleting all the configuration files is one approach.

Havoc