Re: Tasklist Window Titles

On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 10:57:25AM -0400, Kent Borg wrote:
> Recently installing Red Hat 9 (was 7.3) I am dismayed that the buttons
> in the tasklist panel don't always match the window's title.
>
> Specifically, I usually have several copies of emacs open, and I can
> set the window title on launching emacs with a:
>
>   -title My\ Window\ Title
>
> switch, but the button down in the panel doesn't match.

Maybe Emacs also sets an "icon title" - if so the tasklist will prefer
that title.

Do "xprop" on the emacs window, if WM_ICON_NAME is present that will
be preferred over WM_NAME.

On my system, -title only changes WM_NAME.

I'm sure Emacs lets you change the icon title somehow, maybe via lisp
or X resources.

Havoc