Re: Updated GNOME-2 packages?

Toralf Lund <toralf kscanners com> writes:
> Will there be another round of GNOME2 packages in Red Hat 7.3
> GNOMEhide any time soon? My system is somewhat unreliable after
> installing the (prerelease, I assume) ones there now, but I'd rather
> not go back to GNOME 1.4. Also, I prefer not to install Raw Hide or
> beta packages as doing so requires to many changes; I want to have
> STABLE base libraries.

Most likely no; gnomehide moved into rawhide a while back, when it
acquired fontconfig/Xft2/redhat-artwork and other rawhide
dependencies.

A new gnomehide may be appearing that's based on rawhide, once we
release rawhide as a stable version.
Stable rawhide? Is this something new?

It's probably possible to get the rawhide SRPMs to build on 7.3
without _that_ much effort, but you'd have to know a lot about gnome
and RPMs.
The problem with Raw Hide is that there is so much there, and it's hard to find out what you need to update just one component of the OS, like GNOME. Which is why I really liked GNOMEhide. Apart from that, I think I'm getting close to knowing everything there is to be known about RPMs...

Just a thought: How about setting up a "GNOME(hide) SRPMS" area, simply containing copies of the GNOME-related RPMs in Raw Hide? I for one would find this very helpful; I don't think I would require much more help to do the actual build, once I knew exactly what was involved.

- Toralf