gnome automounting of cds seems to be conflicting with cd burner

For the past few nights, my system has locked up *hard* while burning
CDs with X-CD-Roast.  It appears that Nautilus is continuously
attempting to automount the CD, failing each time, and then (my best
guess here) resetting the CD-RW. I've wasted several good CD-Rs by going
through the usual burn procedure and watching my syslog messages.  ;)
Here
is the last thing I see before everything freezes and I have to do a
hard
reboot:

Mar 27 22:32:56 gemini kernel: cdrom: This disc doesn't have any tracks
I recognize!
Mar 27 22:33:28 gemini last message repeated 16 times
Mar 27 22:33:49 gemini last message repeated 10 times
Mar 27 22:33:50 gemini su(pam_unix)[1156]: session opened for user root
by tomg(uid=500)
Mar 27 22:33:51 gemini kernel: cdrom: This disc doesn't have any tracks
I recognize!
Mar 27 22:33:55 gemini last message repeated 2 times
Mar 27 22:33:55 gemini modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
char-major-97
Mar 27 22:33:55 gemini last message repeated 3 times
Mar 27 22:33:57 gemini kernel: cdrom: This disc doesn't have any tracks
I recognize!
Mar 27 22:33:58 gemini kernel: sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 40x/40x writer
cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray

I tried changing the peripheral settings for data CDs to NOT automount,
auto-run, or open a file manager, and had mixed results during two
separate work sessions.  The first time I was able to burn a CD, then
second time I couldn't.  IIRC, the first time around I made the CD
setting changes, logged out, and logged back in.  The second time I
don't believe I did that, so that may be the cause for that particular
failure.  Do you need to log out of Gnome for those peripheral settings
to take effect?

RPM versions:
[tomg gemini sysadmin]$ rpm -q gnome-vfs
gnome-vfs-1.0.3.90-1
[tomg gemini sysadmin]$ rpm -q nautilus
nautilus-1.0.6-3
[tomg gemini sysadmin]$ rpm -q kernel
kernel-2.4.9-21
kernel-2.4.9-31
(kernel 31 is for athlon arch and the one I use)
I'm quite sure I'm using magicdev-0.3.6-2, but I'd have to double check
that.  My CD burning commands (mkisofs, cdrecord, etc.) where all built
using
cdrtools-1.10-4.src.rpm.

FWIW, a google search found this posting from the kernel list describing
a similiar problem:
http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0110.2/0357.html

Other details:
I have a plextor 16/10/40 CD-RW and it has worked w/o any problems for a
long time.  I use the ide-scsi module and it is passed to the kernel at
boot time, so all of the normal CD-RW setup stuff is still the same.

So, any suggestions on what is going on, and more importantly, what I
can do to fix it?

Tom