Re: Evolution -devel rpm

On Fri, 14 Jun 2002 Kenneth Porter wrote:

> On Sat, 2002-06-08 at 09:18, Jeremy Sanders wrote:
> > I notice that Evolution doesn't have a devel package. Would it be possible
> > to include its installed headers and so on in a package? I notice Ximian
> > doesn't make a devel package either.
>
> You should probably make this request to Ximian's evolution-hackers
> list. (I'm cc'ing my reply there. This started on gnome-redhat.) Maybe
> supply a patch to the spec file. What libraries does evo supply that
> another app could use?

(apologies for breaking the thread - I get digest format and need to use a
better mail client... must upgrade soon :-)

Evolution contains some useful libraries that other programs could use,
including:

o Camel (unified messaging library, interfaces with IMAP, spool, SMTP....)
o Wombat (calendar and address book interface)
o Calendar

These could be useful for a text mode/web based evolution.

I'm not sure whether RedHat would package the header files in a -devel
RPM (if nothing else uses them), but maybe Ximian would like to? Since the
evolution RedHat package already contains the .a libraries, I imagine the
-devel package would be pretty small as it would only contain the
headers.

Would either Ximian or RedHat accept a patch to the evolution spec file to
make a -devel package?

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Sanders <jss ast cam ac uk>   http://www-xray.ast.cam.ac.uk/~jss/
X-Ray Group, Institute of Astronomy, University of Cambridge, UK.