Re: gconfd errors w/nfs mounted homedirs

> One would think, but I haven't thought of it yet. ;-)
>
> Another possibility is to rely on the filesystem having change
> notification, along the lines of FAM - but that's a big mess too.
>
> There's also the "just give up" approach: scope gconf per-machine,
> include the hostname in the name of the config files, lock in /tmp,
> and you have to reconfigure everything for each host. But this seems
> pretty suboptimal.
>
> I'm very open to ideas on this.

Why is what gconf is doing now such a great departure from what has been
done in the past with config files? IE: if one of my users makes config
changes from two sites it seems normal to believe that the last one to
exit are the changes that get saved. Why is there a possibility of
config file corruption in this situation and there isn't in evolution or
sawfish or anything else? Why are galeon and nautilus special in this
situation?

If it sounds like I am being a smart ass, I don't mean too, I honestly
don't know.

Thanks.

-sv