Re: gconfd errors w/nfs mounted homedirs

On Fri, 2002-02-08 at 17:22, seth vidal wrote:
> Hi all,
>  I'm trying to figure out a way around this problem or at least a better
> explanation:
>
> I've got 100+ systems mounting their homedirs over nfs. If a user logs
> into one, then logs into another one nautilus and galeon won't work
> complaining about gconfd locking problems. So I look in ~/.gconfd in the
> user's homedir and I see the dir lock - inside there I typically see a
> file named ior and sometimes a stale .nfs[numbershere] which is
> typically an outstanding nfslock.
>
> if I remove that dir/all of those files then the user's login will once
> again work.

So, after typing all this I found:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gconf-list/2002-February/msg00001.html

Which explain some of it. However I have some questions about this
section:

"If you want to use GConf while logged in from two different machines,
sharing the same home directory, you must enable TCP/IP for ORBit by
adding the line ORBIIOPIPv4=1 to /etc/orbitrc and restart
gconfd. You will need to do this on both machines; one machine will
contact the gconfd running on the other.  This setup is poorly tested
but should work."

what about an afs mount for homedirs ie:

afs cell at site A. user can login at sites B and C. B can talk to A for
afs and C can talk to A for afs but B can't talk to C at all.

but they share file space.

there has got to be a better way than counting on the local system being
about to contact this other local system.

-sv