esound problems

Hello all.

Esound on Redhat 7.3 with the Gnome desktop is working, but all the
sounds come out garbled.  My sound card is detected correctly and sound
plays right with the sound test in the text tool setup.

I experimented with the KDE desktop and found that I got the same effect
with the Arts sound server since it defaults to 16 bit sound.  When I
set it to 8 bits, sound was fine.

I want to use the Gnone desktop.  Is there a way to set the sound to 8
bit with esound?

Thanks,

Leo Boucher