/tmp/.esd problem

Hi,
When I try to start Xserver by 'startx', the X hangs after some time.
When I kill it (Ctrl+Alt+Bakspace), I see these messages.

esd: Esound sound daemon already running or stale Unix socket
/tmp/.esd/socket This socket already exists indicating esd is already running.
 Exiting...

I even deleted /tmp/.esd and tried to start x. But I am getting the same problem.

Any idea?

Sadanand

Outgrown your current e-mail service? Get a 25MB Inbox, POP3 Access,
No Ads and No Taglines with LYCOS MAIL PLUS.
http://login.mail.lycos.com/brandPage.shtml?pageId=plus