Re: Dependency problems on upgrade to GNOME-2 packages

On Mon, 2002-08-12 at 13:18, Toralf Lund wrote:

> Well, obviously necessary if you want to use the new libs. However, it
> seems to me that the new and old ones will live happily together in most
> cases, so that existing binaries will indeed run (but without the new
> features, obviously) - and that's the way it ought to be. If I wanted an
> OS where I needed to new install new applications after every upgrade, I
> would look elsewhere, if you know what I mean.
>
> I can't find any package providing the old panel-applet libs, however,
> except for gnome-core, which will be removed by the upgrade.

Almost all of the old gnome-libs will sit happily alongside new ones
(certainly if you use GNOMEhide versions anyway, which have been
parallel installable for longer than most other versions). However, one
or two core desktop binaries will not. Notably the panel and nautilus.

In any case, the panel has changed much for the better, and almost all
your favourite applets have been ported. I can't imagine why you'd want
to run any of the old ones :)

Mike