Re: Dependency problems on upgrade to GNOME-2 packages

Toralf Lund wrote:

[..]

Let me get this straight: Are you saying that I have to recompile all applets to use them with the upgraded panel?

providing that they can be used in Gnome 2 (alot of, if not all Gnome 1.4 panel applets are incompatable with Gnome 2)

That's not the way we write software, is it? - Toralf

/_I_ never wrote the software, just giving my advise.
/
Fair enough...

Yup, as the old applets are linking against old librarys that are no longer used in the new rawhide stuff, 99% of the packages have been upgraded, so trying to install the binaries will result in depenancy errors for both old and new packages, as they will.

You will find some work fine, but when I installed Limbo (now upgraded to rawhide), I have to recompile 60% of my programs, so they relied on libs from the newest versions and not from 7.3 (this will apply regardless of if you are runing 7.3 or above).
Well, obviously necessary if you want to use the new libs. However, it seems to me that the new and old ones will live happily together in most cases, so that existing binaries will indeed run (but without the new features, obviously) - and that's the way it ought to be. If I wanted an OS where I needed to new install new applications after every upgrade, I would look elsewhere, if you know what I mean.

I can't find any package providing the old panel-applet libs, however, except for gnome-core, which will be removed by the upgrade.

Always get the src.rpms, then if you need to recompile them latter on, you'll still have them.

Mark

p.s sorry for the notify thing, I was messing with my mozilla mail options.
Yes, I wondered about that one, but never mind.

- Toralf