Re: Evolution

On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 10:06:49AM -0500, Trond Eivind Glomsrød wrote:
> José Romildo Malaquias <romildo uber com br> writes:

> > > There are updated packages for Evolution RC1 in gnomehide
> > > (ftp://people.redhat.com/hp/gnomehide/) that should work nicely with a
> > > 7.2 system without too much trouble resolving dependencies.   You'll
> > > definitely want the libgtkhml9 and libgal7 packages.
> >
> > I haved installed the following packages from gnomehide:
> >
> > 	libxml
> > 	libxml-devel
> > 	ORBit
> > 	ORBit-devel
> > 	bonobo
> > 	bonobo-devel
> > 	GConf
> > 	GConf-devel
> > 	oaf
> > 	oaf-devel
> > 	bonobo-conf
> > 	bonobo-conf-devel
> > 	libgal18
> > 	gal
> > 	gal-devel
> > 	gtkhtml
> > 	gtkhtml-devel
> > 	evolution
> >
> > to satisfy the dependencies among packages.
> >
> > But there seems to be small bug in this evolution package, as I have found
> > when running setup wizard. As I have been told in the evolution mailing list,
> > I needed to set the suid bit on camel-lock-helper or it wouldn't be able to
> > create a lock in /var/spool/mail:
>
> It shouldn't create a lock - it should lock the file.

I reported in the evolution mailing list:

  When running evolution 0.99.0 [from the gnomehide] for the first time
  in my Red Hat Linux 7.2 box, at the setup assistant, I receive the
  following error message:

        Error:

        Could not get inbox for new mail store:
        Could not lock '/var/spool/mail/romildo'
        No shortcut will be created.

  I was configuring with the Server Type "Standard Unix mbox spools" for
  receiving email, and "Sendmail" for sending email.

And was told to do

	# chown root.mail /usr/sbin/camel-lock-helper
	# chmod g+s /usr/sbin/camel-lock-helper

which solved the problem.

So I phrased wrongly my sentence. The correct writing should be something like:
It could not lock /var/spool/mail/romildo and it could not create a
shortcut to /var/spool/mail/romildo.

But, as pointed out by Owen Taylor in a response, "some fixes are probably
necessary to how the evolution package is doing locking~, since
"Red Hat standardizes on fcntl() locking in /var/spool/mail, which
does _not_ require suid privileges to create locks."

Romildo
--
Prof. José Romildo Malaquias               Departamento de Computação
http://iceb.ufop.br/~romildo       Universidade Federal de Ouro Preto