Re: Testing RPM build for "intltool" + other packages?

Toralf Lund <toralf kscanners com> writes:
> Well, I was complaining about the lack of RPM support in "intltool"
> and many other GNOME modules, too .spec files are included in more or
> less all source directories, but checking out, then building RPM in
> hardly ever works directly, in my experience. The problem is simply
> that the process isn't tested often enough, and I was told that in the
> case of "intltool" at least, the reason is that the maintainers don't
> use rpm, or (as far as I understand) any other package management
> system, themselves (a bit surprising to me as I think installing
> directly from source leads to much more trouble in the long term.) My
> response to that was that RPMs ought to be build regularly just the
> same, as the process is also a nice and simple way of testing the
> module's consistency. I was then asked for volunteers to the job. And
> since GNOMEhide from what I understand is or will be a collection of
> RPMs build quite often, and also because I'm assuming everyone on this
> list is using rpm, I thought it was appropriate to forward the request.

Indeed, this is probably a good place to find volunteers. The spec
files in CVS are maintained by the GNOME packaging project, so that's
probably the place people should talk if they want to get involved in
this, though. The Red Hat spec files aren't in CVS, since they are
very Red Hat centric, and people use the CVS spec files on Mandrake
and stuff as well.

Havoc