Fwd: Re: [translate] Information about the pt_BR language (#630)

Esta resposta é para uma solicitação minha de adequações ao translate project para que seus testes sejam compatíveis com os padrões que adotávamos na época.

Leonardo Ferreira Fontenelle

----- Original message -----
From: Leandro Regueiro <notifications github com>
To: "translate/translate" <translate noreply github com>
Cc: Leonardo Ferreira Fontenelle <leonardof gnome org>
Subject: Re: [translate] Information about the pt_BR language (#630)
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 12:03:35 -0800

This information is based on what I saw in lang/common.py. Please let me know if you need further information.

code = "pt_BR"
fullname = "Portuguese (Brazil)"
nplurals = "2"
pluralequation = "n>1"
validaccel = u"12345667890ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvxyz"

Just added the missing validaccel.

The preferred quoting style is either “double straight quotes” or “double curly quotes”; ‘single straight quotes’ or their curly equivalents happen inside the double ones. Example: “The dialog had an ‘OK’ button.” The other quotes are either obsolete or plain wrong.

Adding a specific check for this might produce too much false positives.

Replacing the quotes appearances might produce unwanted errors which should be checked with some Brazilian translator. Also the lack of preference between straight and curly double quotes complicates this more (French has a replacing code to «»).

We don’t use inverted punctuation or other specific ones, but most misc. punctuation can happen in pt_BR. “·” (middle dot) is not valid, and marking it as wrong might help the Brazilian OpenOffice.org and GNOME translation teams fix some translations.

Excluded middle dot from punctuation.

I don’t think any pofilter test is completely invalid in pt_BR, except maybe for doublespacing. It can be removed if other test verifies the multiple spaces used by developers for padding in the user interface. I don’t believe there should be any language-specific test.

We keep the default tests.

About punctuation/spacing, we use "[:,;?!] ", there’s no double spacing. There’s no start punctuation (just like English).

We keep the defaults.