Re: configuring the lpr/lpd backend

On 09-08-09 02:15, Matthias Clasen <mclasen redhat com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-04-23 at 11:21 +0200, Alexander Wuerstlein wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm using lprng as a printing system. In Gnome, the printing dialogs
> > show up empty except for "print to file". From looking at the source of
> > libgnomeprint i figured that there is an lpr/lpd backend which should be
> > able to parse /etc/printcap.
> >
> > The problem is, I can't find out where this backend is enabled. Could
> > you point me somewhere? Specifically I'm looking for some setting which
> > is system-wide (for all users) and which I can distribute to a room full
> > of computers, so clicking somewhere is out of the question :)
> >
> > Please CC me on the answers, since I'm not subscribed to the list.
>
> Put
>
> gtk-print-backends="file,lpr"
>
> in your ~/.gtkrc-2.0

Yes, of course I did that already, that was the first thing I tried. But
that doesn't fix my problem: Its not, that lpr doesn't show up as a
printing option. Its that there is no list of printers read from
printcap from which a user could select the printer to print to. So one
always has to modify the command line for lpr in the dialogue instead of
just clicking on the printer's name.

Greetings,

Alexander Wuerstlein.