configuring the lpr/lpd backend

Hello,

I'm using lprng as a printing system. In Gnome, the printing dialogs
show up empty except for "print to file". From looking at the source of
libgnomeprint i figured that there is an lpr/lpd backend which should be
able to parse /etc/printcap.

The problem is, I can't find out where this backend is enabled. Could
you point me somewhere? Specifically I'm looking for some setting which
is system-wide (for all users) and which I can distribute to a room full
of computers, so clicking somewhere is out of the question :)

Please CC me on the answers, since I'm not subscribed to the list.

Ciao,

Alexander Wuerstlein.