Re: Grand Unified Printing

On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 08:46:41PM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> > > Jody brought up a while ago that gnome-cups-add is needed when we can't
> > > autodetect printers.  The plan is to merge that into an "Add Printer" in
> > > the print dialog, right?
> >
> > Yes and no.  gnome-cups-add has basicly boiled down to two widgets
> > now.
> >     - driver selector
> >     - connection selector (eg smb browsing)
>
> Do you think it might be possible to autodetect SMB printers and add
> them to the list?  At least ones with no password?

Somewhat.  Even things with passwords are possible with the keyring.
However, there are limits.  Port scans for ipp/appletalk printers on
a net seems like they should require explicit user intervention.

Another worry here would be barraging users with too many printers.
A corporate desktop that started listing every public smb share in
it's workgroup would be overkill in alot of situations.

> > It seems like a good plan.  I'd also like to move libgnomecups
> > into
> > libgnomeprint.
>
> Ok.  We do have the patch I sent from a while back as a starting point,
> if it doesn't already work.
Your patch and some cvs surgery should be sufficient.

> FC3 is pretty much done now, so I think we're ready.

I'll release on Wed morning, and we can do the cvs surgery on Thurs.

Shall we meet on irc on Thurs To do some planning ?
/me creates a #gnome-print, lets see if it's useful