Grand Unified Printing

Hi,

At the summit we briefly discussed the plan for merging Novell's and Red
Hat's printing work and getting a coherent whole into 2.10.  I'm sorry I
couldn't be there for the third day.

The general thought seemed to be that we should create a new CVS module.
I half-jokingly suggested calling it gup, for Grand Unified Printing,
but people seemed to like it.  However the gup is also the abbreviation
for the GNOME Usability Project, but they don't have a CVS module.  Do
we care about this?

Let's assume for now we call it gup.  On a high level, I think the
functionality we want is a merger of eggcups, hal-cups-utils, and gnome-
cups-manager's gnome-cups-add/libgnomecupsui.

Now, eggcups is really an agglomeration of two major things: print job
notification and a driver prompt.  The driver part depends on cups-
config-daemon from hal-cups-utils.  I'd like to separate the
notification from the driver prompt.

Jody brought up a while ago that gnome-cups-add is needed when we can't
autodetect printers.  The plan is to merge that into an "Add Printer" in
the print dialog, right?

So here's my tentative suggestion for module layout:

gup/
   print-notifier/
     ec-tray-icon.c ec-job-model.c ec-cups-job-monitor.c ...
   config-daemon/
     ec-driver-prompt.c cups-config-daemon.c hal_lpadmin.c
   libgnomecupsui/
     gnome-cups-ui-driver.c gnome-cups-permission.c ...
   gnome-cups-add/
     add-printer.c ...

Does that make sense?  Is there anything missing here?  Other thoughts?