questions

Hello,

I have a few questions about the usage of gnomeprint. I am actually
using its python pyndings, but most of the questions are not bindings-
specific. In case anybody on this list can provide answers, I would
greatly appreciate any help.

1. How do I find the proper line spacing for the font? I can see
get_ascender() and get_descender() methods of gnomeprint.Font()
as well as properties like XHeight and CapHeight. Is there any specific
property for the correct spacing? Is this the font size itself by any
chance?

2. Along the same line, what would be a proper superscript size/
elevation for a given font? I seem to like size two points smaller than
the regular text's font and the elevation of 1/4 of the line spacing,
but I'm sure there are well established standards. What are they?

3. What font does one use to print non-latin characters? I thought that
Sans, Serif, and Monospace are the ones that are guaranteed to exist
on gnome desktop, but none of them can print e.g. cyrillic. I can print
cyrillic with Times New Roman, but there's no guarantee that each user
will have this font installed. Any advice on "standard" solution?

I apologize if the above questions are too silly, but I just can't find
good answers.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Alex

--
Alexander Roitman   http://ebner.neuroscience.umn.edu/people/alex.html
Dept. of Neuroscience, Lions Research Building