Re: How do I set the default page size

On Mon, 2004-06-28 at 08:02, Rick DeNatale wrote:
> I researching the overall questions, it seems that gnome print should be
> getting the defaults from CUPS. My CUPS printers are all configured with
> US Letter as the default, however, I can't find a CUPS definition for
> the "Default Postscript" or the "Create PDF File" printers.

"Default Postscript" and "Create PDF File" are not created by cups but
are gnome-print specific. They are defined in
/usr/share/libgnomeprint/2.7.0/printers/*.xml or so

You can change the default paper size for those. Look in the appropriate
configuration for
      <Key Id="Media">
        <Key Id="PhysicalSize" Value="A4" />
      </Key>

> So now the questions I have now are:
>
> 1) Should the gnome print dialog be offering my real CUPS printers?

The print dialog should show you all configured cups printers. If cups
is not available on your machine a separate printer "lpr" should be
shown.

> 2) If the answer to #1 is yes, then what might be possibly be preventing
> this in my case.

gnomeprint is simply inquiring about existing printers from libcups. I
have no idea why you would get an empty list.

> 3) If the answer to #1 is no, then how so I set the defaults for the two
> "printers" I get to choose?

n/a

Andreas
--