Re: Print dialogue

On Tue, 2004-01-27 at 16:59, frank brierley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a question and a suggestion
>
> I am running gnome 2.4.1 on a freebsd 4.9 box using lpr/lpd and
> ghostscript to print.  Printing goes to a windows XP lpd print server
> and to a redhat 9 / cups lpd print server.

the dialog works much better if you are using cups rather than lpr/lpd,
but odf course it should work with both

> Both these print servers require the '-l' option to be provided to the
> lpr command.  This instruction asks windows not to perform any
> formatting on the print job.  The cups implementation of lpd appears
> incomplete or non compliant and will print blank pages without the '-l'
> option.
>
> The problem is that at each print job (using gnomeprint) I have to
> select custom from the location drop down box and enter 'lpr -l'.  From
> the printer tab, the settings drop down has a disabled 'add new
> settings' option and a disabled 'configure' button.

Which application are you using? The application should save those
settings and reapply them before showing the dialog.

> To print to the non default lpr printer (configured in the printcap
> file) I have to enter the printer name in the location dropdown by
> selecting custom, just as above
>
> Question:
> Is there a way of adding different configurations for the different
> printers available to my system?  Maybe a config file some where.

well, as indicated above, for cups the printers would appear directly in
the menu, this should be implemented for other printer spoolers...

> Suggestion:
> It's a good idea to present a uniform print dialogue and a number of
> applications use this tool, an improvement might be to allow the user to
> close the print preview pane without closing the print dialogue (closing
> the print dialogue means losing all the entered page orentations,
> margins, and selected printer configuration)

The choice to close the print dialog lies with the application.
Yesterday I changed gnumeric (the development version) to do just what
you are requesting.

Andreas

--
Prof. Dr. Andreas J. Guelzow
Dept. of Mathematical & Computing Sciences